Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Research Question

For my research paper I would like to explore the topic of player safety in the NFL. More specifically, what role did concussions play in shaping the rule changes in NFL? I would like to go into the history of concussions in the NFL, and the health of players who have already retired. I know that there have been complaints by former players regarding the treatment of concussions when they played, but I would like to know what the NFL is doing to help these players after they retire. These athletes put their bodies at risk when they play, and until now there has been very little done to protect them. Are there systems in place that help monitors player’s health once they retire?
 After doing some google research I found that there are definitely lasting effects for players who receive concussions while playing. However, I would like to know more about the healthcare of the retired players. The NFL is doing a better job helping current players, but I am not sure about retired players. If the college database could link me to some documentaries of retired NFL players I think that would be extremely helpful. I think documentaries could help me really see how retired players have been influenced as opposed to just reading about it.
 I am interested in this topic because I have played football for 15 years. I have had 3 concussions that I know of, and it is scary to think about the possible effects this may have on me down the road. If the NFL can ignore side effects from former NFL players, what does that mean for my future health?

No comments:

Post a Comment