Thursday, November 10, 2011

My View on PSU and Joe Pa

After our class discussion today, I thought it would be a good idea to blog about why I was so opinionated. What Sandusky did to those young boys on the PSU campus while coaching there is absolutely disgusting and terrible. I am confident that everybody else also feels that way. What most people disagree on is the treatment of legendary coach Joe Paterno. Based on what I have read about the situation, I believe PSU made the right decision. Joe Pa knew what happened, and simply did not do enough to help those young boys who were at risk. Yes, he reported it to higher authorities, but he did not make an effort to make sure there was something done to stop Sandusky. In fact, Paterno and the rest of the university still had a relationship with Sandusky up until the most recent allegations. Until last week, Sandusky was found on campus on a consistent basis. Joe Pa and the rest of the university should have cut their ties with this man, and made sure something was done.
To me, it seems like most people who support Joe Pa are fans of the game of football. I am a huge football fan, and have been playing the game since I was 6 yrs old. I respect the game and its history. I realize that Joe Pa has not only done great things for PSU football, but also for the school as a whole. However, this issue is bigger that the game of football. It is a moral issue. The things PSU covered up make all other recent NCAA violations seem unimportant. Jim Tressel was fired because he knew his players received money and other benefits while coaching at Ohio State, and there is no way that situation compares to the one at PSU. Just because Joe Pa is a legendary coach doesn't mean he should get a pass. The kids should be the main concern, not Joe Pa's legacy. He should have done more, and if he were as good a person as people say he is he would have. I have absolutely no problem with the university cutting ties with anybody remotely involved with the allegations.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-10-2011/penn-state-riots?xrs=playershare_fb

    ReplyDelete